Quantcast

Mom Thought She Had A Blackhead, But It Turned Out To Be Deadly Skin Cancer

One mom from California always enjoyed getting a tan, whether it was out in the summer sun or on a tanning bed. She never thought she'd get skin cancer, so when she got a tiny, dark dot on her chin, she ignored it. She chalked it up to just a blackhead. When she saw a dermatologist, she found out that it was much more serious. She ended up with a big hole in her chin.

Kari Cummins ignored the strange mark on her chin, assuming it was a blackhead or some kind of adult acne. The fair-skinned stay-at-home mom usually had clear skin, so she thought it was a bit unusual. She had done her share of tanning in her time, but she never imagined that her skin flaws could be the beginning of cancer.

"I wasn't a frequent user, and only used [tanning beds] occasionally, but I've learnt that it doesn't take much for the UV rays to accelerate the growth of the carcinoma, especially if you have fair skin," she admits, according to the Daily Mail. "I also grew up by a lake and I spent a lot of time in the sun and I don't think that helped either."

When the bump on her chin didn't go away and seemed to spread, she decided to go see a dermatologist. She thought she was going to be diagnosed with some kind of adult acne, but was shocked to learn it was cancer.

"I had a few raised bumps and scabs on my face and so biopsies were taken and that's when I found out that they were potentially cancerous," she said. "Thankfully they were non-melanoma but I still had to get them surgically removed. The lump on my chin was like an underground blackhead and when that was removed I couldn't believe what I had been left with."

A quarter-sized gaping hole was left in the young mom's chin, requiring 35 stitches. She said the scar made her feel 'quite self-conscious for quite a while'.

More lumps appeared on her forehead, and these, too, had to be removed. She learned the hard way just how rapidly sun exposure can accelerate skin cancer cells, and how important it is to detect it early.

"It just shows that this can happen to anyone, unfortunately I neglected my skin and now I am facing the consequences," she said. "It's also really important for people to be more conscious of what creams and lotions they are putting onto their bodies, some are filled with toxic chemicals and these are just as bad for you."

Thankfully, by catching it in time and removing the cancer cells, Cummins was able to avoid disaster. And more importantly, she’s now taking better care of herself and being more pro-active about minor problems.

"If I hadn't of had it removed when I did then the chances are it would have grown larger and deeper into the tissue and could have spread," she said.

Source: Daily Mail
Photo: Caters

Tell Us What You Think

More Fab Stories

Police in a Georgia Subway restaurant got a 911 call from an employee. The employee complained that 'eight people in a van' had come into the...

For months now, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have been a frequent topic of conversation. They've made headlines almost daily, and thread after...

John Stamos, America's favorite TV uncle from the sit-coms 'Full House' and the reboot, 'Fuller House', was out and about with his firstborn in...

A woman was suffering from a major family crisis when her 18-year-old son was rushed to the hospital. Doctors put him on life support, and even...

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex recently made their first official royal visit to Ireland. While there, the two attended a garden party at the home...

Latest Fab Stories

A trip to the grocery store is a common, almost everyday event for most Americans. By the same token, growing families eat a lot, so moms (and...

A nursing mother is lashing out at Spirit Airlines after she, her 2-year-old son, and her parents were kicked off a flight. She says she was...

A pediatric nurse was fired from her job at an Indiana University Health hospital after racially charged tweets went viral. The black nurse ranted...

If you’re a dog lover and you head on down to the animal shelter, don’t be surprised if you find that one of the little guys or gals there steals...

A woman has a hole in her temple after she ignored the advice of her beautician. The woman in question, 40-year-old Keely Jones, was told by her...