Quantcast

UK Woman Discovers Heinz Ketchup Packet Is Cause of Serious Bowel Disease

They say you are what you eat, but this case of the plastic packaging from a Heinz ketchup packet lodging in her intestine wall and leading to more than five years of pain for patient is a first in medical history.

A middle aged woman in the UK believed she had been suffering from a serious bowel disease for six years until medical professionals recently told her they had found that the problem was actually some Heinz ketchup packaging piercing the wall of her intestine.

However, according to numerous UK media reports and a medical journal, the 41-year-old female patient suffered frequent attacks of acute abdominal pain and bloating up to three days in duration, and that doctors had come up with a diagnosis of Crohn's disease for her condition.

After years of painful abdominal attacks, the physicians at Heatherwood and Wexham Park Hospital, Slough, eventually decided that exploratory surgery was required given that the patient failed to respond to all of the range of standard treatments, based on a description of the case in the British Medical Journal.

It turned out that when the doctors opened up the patient with an exploratory keyhole surgery procedure, they discovered a large inflamed mass in the small intestine. After further investigation they eventually found two pieces of Heinz ketchup plastic packaging had perforated the patient’s intestinal lining and were leading to a serious infection.

The case study went on to note that after the offending ketchup packaging was removed, the serious symptoms of the patient resolved spontaneously on their own almost immediately.

Moreover, the good news is that the patient was still pain- and symptom-free more than five months following the procedure.

Of note, the patient could not recall eating a meal involving the Heinz ketchup packages that were found to be perforating the wall of her gut.

In the medical report in the British Medical Journal, the surgeons pointed out that this was the first known case of ingested plastic packaging mimicking the symptoms of serious Crohn's disease.

"It is important to consider alternative surgical diagnoses in patients with presumed Crohn's disease unresponsive to standard treatment," the conclusion to the case study noted.

Note that Crohn’s disease is a chronic progressive inflammatory disease of the bowel that makes defecating painful and difficult, and can even be fatal in very serious cases. It often begins as ongoing diarrhea and progresses to become a more serious condition.
Source: Independent
Photo: NY Post, IFL Science

Tell Us What You Think

More Fab Stories

A mother and daughter were traveling in India and were on a local train, but things turned into a complete nightmare for them. It was so horrific...

A pair of strangers found an interesting way to pass the time during a recent Delta Airlines flight from Los Angeles to Detroit, but they now find...

A teen boy in India began complaining about stomach pains, and things got so bad that he was brought to the hospital. Doctors did a scan expecting...

A woman's life was completely turned upside down over one meal. While that may be hard to fathom, it makes more sense when you consider that the...

A man faces charges for killing three children when he decided to completely disregard the speed limit. Now, his recent comments are only making...

Latest Fab Stories

There are plenty of benefits to having an incredibly large presence on social media, but it also opens up a ton of risk. Virtually everything you...

Four months ago, a 16-year-old autistic boy left his mother's home in Iowa to go for a walk near a local creek. He never returned, and authorities...

A man was at home when suddenly he was having chest pains and struggling to breathe. The man was having a heart attack. Lucky for him, his 5-year-...

This October was the one-year anniversary of the late King of Thailand, Bhumibol Adulyadej. On October 26, a cremation ceremony was held in Los...

Some unfortunate drug dealer made a terrible mistake. Either he put his stash in the wrong storage bins, or sent it to the wrong address. No one...