Quantcast

14-Week-Old Baby Dies After Mother Put This On Her Head

After the tragic loss of her 14-week-old baby girl, one mother has nothing left to do but pray the senseless accident doesn't ever happen again. She's warning other parents about accessories, and how they can be deadly.

A friend of the grieving mom wrote a Facebook post revealing the sad sequence of events. "My friend has sadly just lost her 14-week-old daughter whilst she thought she was sleeping in her carry cot after a long walk. When she came to check on her she had the bow headband down over her wee nose and mouth and wasn't moving. she had passed away. Postmortem revealed death due to suffocation asphyxiation. She wanted me to share for other new mums the danger some of these baby fashion accessories can have."

Big, bulky bows and stretch head bands have become a common fashion accessory. Parents adorn their cute little baby girls. They can be found everywhere — in baby clothing stores, accessory shops and at online baby retail websites. When parents see something used so often by others, and sold so widely, it doesn't usually occur to new parents that it could be a safety hazard.

Little children, especially when they’re sleeping, aren’t able to move obstructions that happen to cover their nose and mouth. The bows with bands are particularly dangerous, because they’re meant to conform around a shape. This can lead to just enough pressure to block the child’s airway. When a baby’ mouth and nose are blocked, it’s unlikely that they’ll be able to even cry to alert parents that something is wrong.

It's fine to put a bow on your baby for pictures, or for dressy events like family holiday gatherings, but it's important to remember that they pose a hazard when your baby is laying down or sleeping. Put her bow on, snap your pictures and show her off, but when you set your little one down in a stroller, carrier or crib, remove it.

Source: Mirror
Photo: Mirror

Tell Us What You Think

More Fab Stories

A newborn baby came out with such unusual hair two years ago, people are still discussing and debating it on social media. The Hungarian child...

Georgia’s 6th Congressional District's special election last week was much more competitive than special elections usually are. When Tom Price...

Parents who do drugs put their kids at risk every day. Kids can accidentally overdose. Parents on drugs can become violent and make incompetent...

After a special election in Georgia resulted in another Republican upset win, actress Alyssa Milano took to twitter to express her disappointment...

When Elvis Presley died, the world didn't take the superstar's death very well. Before the body was even cold, conspiracy theories began to swirl...

Latest Fab Stories

Prince Harry was just 12 years old when his mother, Princess Diana, passed away in a tragic car accident. As the 20th anniversary of the princess'...

Are you smarter than a sixth grader? Before you answer that, you might want to take a look at what this sixth grader is up to. The young man felt...

One of the most brilliant scientific minds in the history of the universe says that President Donald Trump has made a huge mistake. Trump is...

Senator Bernie Sanders, former presidential candidate for the Democratic party, isn't just sorry that he lost. He's sorry that Trump won. The...

To many parents, there is nothing more terrifying than the thought that one day your child could just disappear. Someone could snatch your little...