Mom Slammed in Target Over Her Tot's Lunch, But Most People Agreed She Was In the Wrong

A young mother made a post on a parenting blog complaining about a woman who approached her at a Target store and lectured her about what she was feeding her 4-year-old daughter. She mentioned the encounter, which startled her, and started up the discussion. Most of the parents posting on the blog agreed with the woman in Target, however.

The woman was walking around Target with her daughter sitting in the shopping cart. The child was eating a sandwich, which is probably something to which every parent can relate: you have a busy day, you're running late with your errands, and your child needs to eat.

Giving the child a sandwich while you shop seems a lot better than abandoning your errands, or walking around with a crying, hungry kid.

But the sandwich the child was eating was peanut butter and jelly. Another woman approached her to complain about her letting her child eat peanut butter in public.

"Has it become unacceptable to eat peanut butter in public?" the poster asked her fellow moms on the Urban Baby blog post.

She may have been a little surprise to find the resounding consensus was 'yes'.

“That’s really inconsiderate,” one poster wrote. "So many kids have life-threatening allergies to peanut butter. Eating it in a shopping cart GUARANTEES it will be smeared on the handle, etc. It’s really awful you would do this. Sorry, but imagine if it were your child with the allergy.”

"I hope no child dies because of any residual peanuts on the cart,” wrote another person.

Peanut butter seems to have become a point of contention in parenting circles. What once was thought of as a healthy and nutritious lunch is now banned in many places where children play and go to school. Some parents with picky eaters are furious that they can't send their kids with the old stand-by PBJ sandwich.

However, the arguments against peanut butter are not without merit. More than a million kids out there have peanut allergies, according to Food Allergy Research & Education, and some of those allergies are quite severe.

A little smear of peanut butter on a shopping cart handle might not seem like a big deal to most. But if a small child placed in that cart later in the day happened to get it on their finger, and put their finger in their mouth, they could have a serious, potentially life-threatening, allergic reaction.

The poor parent might not even realize what was going on until the situation became serious. For parents of kids with nut allergies, it's scary to think that anyone might be careless with the substance.

Some commenters on the blog argued that if your kid is allergic to peanuts, then it’s your responsibility to keep an eye on the child, and keep him away from places where there might be traces of peanut butter.

"If it is that life-threatening, don’t take them out,” complained one poster.

What a horrible response,” another shot back. “Do not take out these kids so that [the original poster’s] kid can enjoy their PB&J sandwiches while sitting in a shopping cart. Sure, confine them to their home surroundings because we do not want to inconvenience [her] child.”

The original poster claims she wiped the cart, and her child, thoroughly. Nothing seemed to be resolved, and the debate rages on.

>

Source: Yahoo
Photos: Pantsuit Politics, Medical Daily, Sanford 365

Tell Us What You Think

More Fab Stories

One young girl in Brazil suddenly began suffering from a swollen lip, and a lump on her lip got bigger and bigger. She went to the doctor to find...

At the end of the day, families look forward to winding down and getting a little rest. As the day comes to a close, the dinner dishes are done,...

Prince Harry stood up an early 70th birthday party event for his father, Prince Charles, last week, and spoke very fondly of his father. Harry...

A cheerleader from Milwaukee, Wisconsin unexpectedly suffered from cardiac arrest two years ago and was rushed to the hospital. She was diagnosed...

Andrea Ott-Dahl agreed to be a surrogate for a family friend who couldn’t get pregnant for seven years. The day had come where Ott-Dahl and her...

Latest Fab Stories

A teen bit into a turkey sandwich at school and quickly realized it was contaminated by peanuts. The teen has a deathly peanut allergy and could...

Jenn Morson, a writer from the suburbs of Annapolis, Maryland, received an HIV diagnosis when she was pregnant with her second child and shared...

Administrators at Burke High School in Omaha, Nebraska are investigating a case of bullying against a student who is deaf.

Alex Hernandez's...

A woman dropped her son off at school and was hurrying off to start her day when she got a flat tire. She pulled over in a vacant lot to check it...

A surveillance video at a Cincinnati drive-thru window captured a harrowing scene. Apparently, the driver had kidnapped a woman and baby and the...